August 20, 2012

Teacher Spotlight: Mr. Choate


By Aaron Phillips

This year in Charger we would like to introduce the Teacher Spotlight in order to individually recognize the admirable teachers we have here at Cookeville High School that go above and beyond for their students. This issue, I would like to put the spotlight on Mr. Michael Choate, Choir Director and well-respected teacher here at CHS. I sat down to talk with Mr. Choate on his reasoning behind going into teaching and his thoughts on this 2012-2013 school year.
By Blake Gentry
Q: When did you know that you wanted to go into teaching?

A: I never thought about doing anything else. My first-grade teacher inspired me to teach. Actually, she and I still stay in contact to this day.



Q: Were there any other careers you considered going into?

A:  A little before college, I considered going into musical performance, but I knew my heart was in teaching, or, the classroom.



Q: How long have you been teaching here at CHS?

A: I’ve been teaching full-time at CHS since 2005, with years part-time beforehand. I’ve taught eighteen years in total, at every grade level.



Q: As a teacher, what are your thoughts on this new schedule we have?

A: Any time there is a schedule change there are certain difficulties. This year’s downside is not having a full year of instruction with my freshmen. However, I have a full year with my performing students.



Q: What are your thoughts on this year’s choirs?

A: I’m very impressed with all of the classes so far, the numbers were high as far as students, but we’ve made great strides to become the best we can be.



Q: What all, instrument-wise, can you play?

A: Piano, I play organ for my church, St. Michaels, I was an all-state brass player in high school, and I have decent skills on the violin. I’ve never been able to get a grip on guitar though.



Q: What are some of your favorite modern artists?

A: I really like Coldplay, Michael Bublé, and Bonnie Raitt. Mostly easy listening stuff, especially after a long day at work.



Q: Thank you for all the efforts you put into our school’s fine arts, and for taking on the enormous classes you have at hand.

A: I know that I, like all of the teachers here feel like I have the best job in the world. The kids always give the energy you pour into them back; it’s a nice positive atmosphere.

0 comments:

Post a Comment